The UT Administration has been very sensitive to the needs of women and children with disability, particularly destitute and orphaned children and women with Intellectual Disabilities.
Keeping that in mind, His Excellency Gen(Retd) S.F Rodrigues, Administrator, UT, Chandigarh Administration inaugurated ‘AASHREYA’ – a permanent home for Orphaned /Destitute/Abandoned mentally challenged persons on 3rd December, 2008. Home provides comprehensive rehabilitation services. Aashreya is situated in sector 47 Chandigarh.
It is under the aegis of Government Rehabilitation Institute for Intellectual Disabilities (GRIID), Sector 31-C, Chandigarh.
Facilities Available at Aashreya
Aashreya is a residential facility for 26 residents, both male and females. Each cubicle consists of 4 beds with attached washroom.
Aashreya Home, Chandigarh: -
- Recreational Activities
- Educational and Vocational Training
- In Door and Out Door games
- Leisure time activity including watching TV, Dancing, Music, painting & Games
- Training in Domestic Skills
2. Medical Facilities
a. Nursing Care 24X 7
b. Specialist medical care
Psychiatrist.(GMCH – 32),Gynecologist (GMCH-32, GMSH-16),Pediatrician(GRIID-31),Medicine Specialist. (GMCH-32),Dermatologist. (GMCH-32)
c. Speech Therapist & Physiotherapist ( from GRIID-31).
3. Disabilities Certificates
4. Legal Guardianship
5. Pension for Aashreya Residents.
There is an activity room, a mess and a dining hall and sufficient space for outdoor games.
Aashreya has one Hostel Warden who resides there 24×7. Other staff includes round the clock nurses, dieticians, counselor, social educator, music teacher, special educator, ayas, attendants and office staff. It has round the clock security. Part time tutor helps children in their school home work.
- The persons with intellectual disability of both sexes are eligible for admission. The IQ certificate is required to be issued by the clinical psychologist working in any public hospital of U.T Chandigarh.
- Persons with intellectual disability of all ages and either sex are eligible.
- The person should be Orphan or Destitute in need of care and protection.
- A person with intellectual disability on the demise of his/her parents will also be considered for admission in case there is no relative or legal guardian to look after the person. However, this will be considered as “Short respite care” till the relatives who are legally bound to take care are identified. The short respite care will be converted into regular admission in case no such relative or guardian is identified. Meanwhile, Chandigarh Administration will initiate proceedings to appoint legal guardian and manage under LLC of National trust to take care of person and his/her property. The short respite stay will be allowed by Joint Director, GRIID and in case this admission is required to be converted into permanent admission, the admission order shall be obtained from SDM or Chairman Child Welfare Committee.
Documents required for admission:
- IQ Certificate of the applicant issued by the Government Clinical Psychologist.
- Blood Group Report.
- Three passport size photographs.
- Medical Report issued by GMCH-32/GMSH-16, Chandigarh.
- In case of orphan, the order issued by the SDM or Chairman Child WelfareCommittee.
- In case of short respite care, a residential proof is required.
The residents of Aashreya go out every day either for training or work. In addition to ADL and vocational training, they go for an outing every month. All the festivals are celebrated at Aashreya including celebrations of birthday of all the residents.
Donation in Cash/DD/ Cheque
- Donation is accepted in cash/Demand Draft upto Rs. 10,000/- against cash receipt.
- Donation exceeding Rs.10, 000/- is accepted in the shape of Cheque/Demand Draft/ online banking only favouring Aashreya Welfare Fund. Cheque/Demand Draft must be accompanied with copy of PAN Card.
- Donors while donating Cash/Demand Draft/Cheque must obtain receipt duly signed by Aashreya Warden.
Donation in Kind
- Cooked food is not accepted.
- Used and old clothes are not accepted.
- Old or used items are not accepted.
Note:- For further information/ clarification, donors are requested to contact the Aashreya Warden or GRIID at the following Telephone numbers:
- Aashreya Warden: - 0172-2634800 Timings: - 24 Hours.
- Reception GRIID: - 0172-2637361 Timings: - 8:00am to 3:00pm.